Snack Smart: How to Eat Healthy Between Meals
Diets are often associated with deprivation. Tons of fad diet companies believe that in order to be successful, we need to eat less food. This is very counterproductive to a healthy lifestyle! In fact, many experts recommend snacking twice daily to keep energy levels up.
Now, this doesn’t mean snacking on unhealthy foods. A lot of people think of snacks as little cheat meals or treats. This can lead us to eat unnecessary amounts of fat and sugar! Instead, we should be reaching for snacks full of healthy, fresh ingredients and nutrients. Snacks are a great way to make up for any missing nutrients – for example, if you know you don’t get enough protein in the day, try snacking on hardboiled eggs, chicken, or chickpea hummus!
Listen to your body! If your stomach is rumbling, have something to tide you over. However, don’t snack simply because you feel like it. A lot of people turn to snacks when they’re stressed or bored. Fill that time with something else, such as a brisk walk, the next chapter in your favourite book, or even a tall glass of water!
Snacking is the key to a healthy meal plan. Too many people believe that deprivation and cutting yourself off from food is the way to lose weight, when that can actually attribute to overeating and weight gain in the long run. To maintain a safe, healthy body, we need to fuel ourselves properly when our body is asking for it! Choose healthy, filling snacks to keep you going all day. Try out these awesome snack ideas below:
Bagel with Ricotta and Strawberries
- Spread ½ toasted whole-grain “flat” bagel with 2 tablespoons fresh ricotta.
- Top with 1/3 cup sliced strawberries.
- Drizzle with 1 teaspoon honey or agave nectar.
Nut Butter Boat
- Load a few celery sticks with 1 tablespoon of any nut butter (almond, cashew, walnut).
- Top with whole almonds or raisins.
Banana Yogurt Smoothie
- 2 teaspoons flaxseeds
- 1 medium banana
- ½ cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1-2 teaspoons honey
- 2/3 ice cubes
- Place the flax seeds in a blender and puree for 30 seconds until they are coarsely ground.
- Add the bananas, yogurt, honey, and ice cubes and pree until smooth and thick.
Recipe from http://www.wholeliving.com/132639/banana-yogurt-smoothie?center=0&gallery=136353&slide=132639